I Hate Hot Spots!!

Flea & tick prevention, worming, vaccinations, de-sexing and other health and grooming issues.
Wendy

I Hate Hot Spots!!

Post by Wendy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 am

Horrible itchy sores, in this case complicated by a fungal infection. All the hair around the sore has to be shaved off. Between two previous bouts this summer and the current ones, poor Curdie looks like he has gone ten rounds with a crazed, clipper-wielding barber!
Wendy

Shatrin Beach Boy (Curdie)

RescueSquad

Re: I Hate Hot Spots!!

Post by RescueSquad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:00 am

OOH those darn hot spots! I see a lot of them as I take in rescued shelties. Usually it is caused by bacteria on the skin, and can be intensified by the thick undercoat on the sheltie. Most of this bacteria is in the family of staphylococcus epidermidis which is present on our skin as well as on the dog. It is present in our environment in the soil.

I don't wish to offend you at all, I'm trying to help, so bare with me.... Lots of these cases can be corrected without shaving and without antibiotics. If your dog has a propensity to have hot spots he should be bathed at least once a month and dried thoroughly after each bath. Grooming should be at least every other day to keep loose undercoat from laying on the skin.

I have had very good luck with using a simple remedy of human dandruff shampoo. I'm unsure of what brands you have where you are, but here in the US I use Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo. Thoroughly wash your dog with this shampoo and let it set for five minutes on the dog then rinse THROUGHLY! leave no residue on the dog at all.. This will dry up the weeping sores and remove any bacteria that may still be present on the skin. You may want to clip the hair around the weeping sores but don't shave it, that irritates the skin more and the hair will grow back much faster if you just clip it.

If you need more information please post back I'll be happy to help you.

Regards
Judy and the Rescue Squad

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks for that advice.

He's had one each summer for the last couple of years. Vet advice has been that it's usually caused by some kind of irritation like fleas (which he doesn't have). Internet research says heat and humidity. I didn't find anything about bacteria on the skin. Bacteria makes sense though, as the hot spots started
after the really hot weather and I don't wash him very often.

I do groom him regularly but he has a very dense coat. I'm constantly brushing out a huge piles of fluff but there's always just as much next week.

I took Curdie to the vet for the first hot spot at the end of February (injection, antibiotic tablets, clipping and elizabethan collar - $118). Second occurrence (two sores) I treated myself with clipping, saline washes, antiseptic cream and elizabethan collar. Third time (five sores) and itchy rash all over his tummy, back to the vet for more antibiotics, shampoo, cream, and clipping - $168.

Head and shoulders dandruff shampoo sounds a lot better financially. Do you use the dandruff shampoo for the monthly wash or just ordinary dog shampoo?
Wendy

RescueSquad

Post by RescueSquad » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:27 pm

Since Curdie has a propensity for these hot spots I'd use it for every bathing during your hot season. As long as you rinse him very well and dry him all the way to the skin after each bath it won't hurt him at all.. If you want you can go back to your regular shampoo when the weather turns cold again. But I'd keep a close eye on his skin so it doesn't get too badly irritated before you go back to the Head and Shoulders shampoo.

Hugs
Judy and the Rescue Squad

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 am

The main problem with hot spots is that they develop fast with little if any warning.

With the last one, Curdie was fine in the morning and by 2pm had a hot spot under his left eye 5cm across.
Usually the only indication is some scratching or licking but I don't always immediately think "hot spot" seeing as it's been a once a year thing up until the last six weeks.

He's on the mend now thankfully. Hopefully once the antibiotics are finished, with the colder weather and regular baths he won't have any more problems and all his beautiful fluff can grow back.
Wendy

Han&Bon

Post by Han&Bon » Wed May 15, 2013 12:01 am

I think Bonnie has been having similar bacterial infections on her face. The vet wanted 3 weeks of antibiotics which I was not keen on as she is only 10 months old and it will wreck all the good bacteria in her tummy. I spoke to a naturopath and then I cut the hair away and wiped them with salty water and then applied coconut oil to her skin twice a day. I was slightly dubious but something simple really can work. After the three days the big lesions are almost healed. Now I just need to stop the itching that causes it!

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Just want to send Judy a big thank you for her advice.

Curdie had one hot spot just after Christmas (which was my fault as I hadn't started using the dandruff shampoo on him). I bought the Head & Shoulders dandruff shampoo and gave him a bath. I then alternated between salt water bathing, cure rash powder and spot shampooing on the hot spot (always drying thoroughly with the hair dryer). Despite being approximately 5cm across and me not trimming the hair, or going to the vet for antibiotics, the hot spot cleared up within the week.

The thing I am most impressed about is that there were no more hot spots for the rest of the summer after I started bathing Curdie with the H&S dandruff shampoo. Based on the previous year, every time I caught Curdie licking himself I expected to find a new sore, but no new hot spots developed over the long, hot Australian summer. Happily Autumn has now arrived but I no longer have to worry about the Summer hot spots.

Thanks again to Judy and the Rescue Squad for her advice, and to Sheltie Planet for the forum.

Regards, Wendy.
Wendy

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:01 am

So glad it worked well for you.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley

Shirleyj

Post by Shirleyj » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:33 pm

Hot Spots? I hate those too!
However, I've never had one on my beautiful 10
yr. old Sheltie.
Is he outside too much? There's a lot involved in that question.
Shirleyj
Murfreesboro,Tn.

Shirleyj

Post by Shirleyj » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Hot Spots? I hate those too!
However, I've never had one on my beautiful 10
yr. old Sheltie.
Is he outside too much? There's a lot involved in that question.
Shirleyj
Murfreesboro,Tn.