Constipation & Pain

Flea & tick prevention, worming, vaccinations, de-sexing and other health and grooming issues.
KatyE

Constipation & Pain

Post by KatyE » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:50 am

Please help, my ~12 yr old Sheltie seems to be in a lot of pain and severely constipated. He is walking around groaning and crying, straining but unable to produce anything, and over the last hour he has drunk a LOT of water. His appetite was fine earlier today and he hasn't eaten anything strange. Can anyone help?! It's night and I don't know what to do.

Ronna58

Re: Constipation & Pain

Post by Ronna58 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:38 am

Please get him to a vet immediately. he is in trouble and should be seen asap.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:12 am

KatyE - how is your boy today? It concerns me that he is drinking lots and not having a bowel motion.
Ronna

KatyE

Post by KatyE » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:01 am

Hi, thanks for advice/concern, he is much better today thank you. We were going to take him to the vet this morning but he seemed to have sorted himself out - drinking returned to normal and he seemed calm. Off his food today but we hope by tomorrow he should be back to his usual self - if not we'll take him down for a check-up.
Checked with his previous owner today and apparently he gets like this quite regularly. Also think he might be pining for his old owner - he seems very sad and I know Shelites can be very loyal so it's not surprising. We're just trying to give him as much love & company as we can.

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:28 am

So glad it wasn't anything more serious.
Ronna

KatyE

Post by KatyE » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:35 am

Me too, he's such a special boy & has won my heart completely! He's back on his food tonight and very cheerful again. Managed to get 3 tsp of olive oil and a sardine into him with his food so I think he should come right now. Thanks so much for your care & sorry for freaking out in my first post :roll:

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:09 am

No problem. I would have too. When I read your post, my first thought was bowel obstruction or twisted bowel. I just went through surgery for my Liam with a cecal impaction and twisted small bowel.
Ronna

Baxnfursmom

Post by Baxnfursmom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:50 am

Like Ronna bowel obstruction was the first thing that crossed my mind and that's serious stuff. Since Ronna had given a response I didn't comment at the time but I'm so glad to hear he's doing better. If one of mine had acted like that I would have freaked too.
Sue
Fergus 5 yr old tri
Baxter 9 yr old sable
Toby 10 yr old Pom

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:25 am

You may want to try adding pure canned pumpkin (you can do your own as well by cooking pumpkin with no spices) to his diet. I use canned pure pumpkin pie filling. It is important it be plain pumpkin - no added spices. This will add fibre to his diet and help the bowels work better. Alternatively, I have heard that pure bran (100% bran) cereal will help. Also talk to you vet about something like Metamucil or Benefibre - bulking agents that may help reduce the constipation.
Ronna

KatyE

Post by KatyE » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:02 am

I heard about the canned pumpkin when the problem first started, but I don't think we have canned pumpkin in New Zealand. We've been giving him grated carrot with his dinner and that seems to have settled him down. Thanks again for the suggestions :)
Oh and if anyone wants to delete this thread now to tidy things up that'd be OK haha.