How to keep Shelties teeth clean?

Flea & tick prevention, worming, vaccinations, de-sexing and other health and grooming issues.
Curtis Meighan

Re: How to keep Shelties teeth clean?

Post by Curtis Meighan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm

I buy my golden retriever and my sheltie bones called Tarter Buster or sometimes for a treat I give them Denta sticks and they seem to work keep the teeth clean

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:48 pm

My sheltie was fed dry food and chicken necks (which he practically inhaled). At 20 months he had a lot of build up on his teeth and the vet recommended getting his teeth cleaned professionally. I thought I'd take Curdie off chicken necks and try him on some nice meaty bones. It made a huge difference very quickly and when I took him back to the vet three months later they said his teeth were fine. Meaty soup bones and marrow bones cut in half lengthwise are a big hit. It's amazing how much he gnaws them down.
I wonder what the vet who warned that dentabones could chip the teeth would say about Curdie's bouts with his bones. I'd much prefer the chance of a chipped tooth to local anaesthetic (with it's inherent risks) every year just for teeth cleaning.
Wendy

Shatrin Beach Boy (Curdie)

SheebaSheltie

Post by SheebaSheltie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:30 am

I don't normally brush my dog's teeth because I'm afraid that our toothpaste might be toxic to her. Is there a toothpaste for dogs?
Last edited by SheebaSheltie on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shetland Sheepdog training @ http://www.trainpetdog.com/Shetland-Sheepdog/about-shetland-sheepdog.html
Trainpetdog.com store @ http://www.trainpetdog.com/store/

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:07 am

Check your local pet store - they should have a dog specific toothpaste.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley

Kimme29

Post by Kimme29 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:12 am

For such issue you should visit to vets. I was looking for a good dentist for my gums problem. Came to know about dentist Redondo Beach and visited there. He prescribed a toothpaste that really worked out best for me and I am happy to get relief.

SulekhaR

Post by SulekhaR » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:05 am

The answers posted in this post were very detailed.Dental health is something that should not be taken lightly.