How to keep Shelties teeth clean?

Flea & tick prevention, worming, vaccinations, de-sexing and other health and grooming issues.
SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

How to keep Shelties teeth clean?

Post by SheltiePlanet » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:44 am

Even though I feed both Howard and Piper exactly the same diet, Howard has beautiful pearly whites but Piper has a lot of brown build up on his teeth. He also has shocking breath!

Can anyone recommend the best way to keep their teeth clean - perhaps with chews or other toys? I'm just not sure what works.

Thanks ;)
Becky Casale
Sheltie Planet

For a goldmine of info on Shelties, check out my 190-page ebook: The Pet Owner's Guide to Shelties

Ronna58

Re: How to keep Shelties teeth clean?

Post by Ronna58 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:45 am

I find that both Emma and Liam have tartar build up - same diet for each. I am just trying LebaIII, a liquid spray, to help get rid of the buildup. It takes about six weeks and I am just finishing up two weeks. It seems to be making a difference. The vet suggested I get a scaler and scale the teeth.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley

LisaM77

Post by LisaM77 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:29 am

Moose has a toothbrush - he won't open wide and say aaaaaahhhhhh, but if I stick it in his mouth and move it around his chewing action does the trick. You can get special doggy toothpaste. You can also get something you put in their water - Aquadent. Can even order it online in NZ! Otherwise your vet should have it. petpost.co.nz/dental-care-for-dogs/aquadent-250ml (got a message saying I can't put links yet so just add the www).

Sara had pretty bad build up a while ago but a few bones later and they're much better. They seem to go a bit funny with bones though (the dogs, not the teeth) so we don't like to give them many but the fake rawhide types seem to do ok too.

Some options worth trying anyway...

KenRC51

Post by KenRC51 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:22 am

Daisy has bath breath and the worst of all tartar build up on her teeth. I looked up on some oral care for dogs and I found this natural supplment you add to their kibbles. It called Plaqueoff, it all natural and made from the nature. Check out their website, http://www.plaqueoff.com/for-animals

Just once scoop a day on top of their kibbles. I know, your probably thinking that 1 scoop is a lot. I at first thought that because I thought the scoops were big, but in fact the scoops are small, its about 1/3 pf a penny size.

I have tried this product for almost 2 weeks already and Daisy's breath does not smell anymore (seriously, I couldn't believe it) but there are still tartar. On their website it say that it might take a while for the tartar to go away but since I'm seeing improvement, I believe that Daisy's plaque and tart will be goon soon.

legallybrunette

Post by legallybrunette » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:21 am

I try and brush Archie's teeth, although he doesn't love it, he will tolerate it. I'm very jealous of his yummy-smelling vanilla toothpaste!

I also try and give Archie raw bones every day to help keep the plaque at bay.

I was also reading somewhere that dogs' teeth can become discoloured due to the colours and additives used in commercial dog foods (especially the wet, canned variety).
Tegan
-&-
Archie

Please "like" Archie on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/pages/Archie-the-Sheltie/186179354760291

ImageImage

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:38 am

My vet warned me against the dentabones (a tooth cleaning bone that the dogs eat). He said they can chip the teeth.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Post by SheltiePlanet » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:18 am

Thanks for all the feedback.

I used to brush Howard's teeth when he was a puppy but it was always an ordeal, and I never really was sure if it was doing much good!

They sometimes get raw bones which they LOVE :P I've read that chewing action does the trick.

I will check out those two products you mentioned as well, sound like they have a positive effect.

Cheers!
Becky Casale
Sheltie Planet

For a goldmine of info on Shelties, check out my 190-page ebook: The Pet Owner's Guide to Shelties

SheebaSheltie

Post by SheebaSheltie » Sun May 29, 2011 5:14 am

I used edible baby toothpaste for my dog. This was recommended by my vet because my dog hates his teeth being brush. The dog thought that the toothpaste is food.
Shetland Sheepdog training @ http://www.trainpetdog.com/Shetland-Sheepdog/about-shetland-sheepdog.html
Trainpetdog.com store @ http://www.trainpetdog.com/store/

bjwalter12@yahoo.com

Post by bjwalter12@yahoo.com » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:19 am

The most important advice I can give you about keeping your shelties teeth clean is this. Make sure your sheltie gets a professional cleaning done one time a year. It is one of the most important things you can do for your sheltie. I was told by my vet that shelties have an upper molars that are con-caved which food can pack into this con-caved area and cause periodontal abscesses. I get my shelties teeth cleaned once a year by our vet. They use an ultrasonic scaler under sedation. My sheltie will be five this January and her teeth and gums look just like they did when she was a year old. Brush your shelties teeth as often as possible, I brush my shelties teeth 4-5 times per week. I am also a 28 year veteran of dentistry and I can say with out a doubt that professional cleanings is the only true way to keep your shelties teeth clean. :)

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Post by SheltiePlanet » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:58 pm

Thanks so much. We have been using PlaqueOff every day and will see about getting their teeth cleaned professionally at the vets. Cheers!
Becky Casale
Sheltie Planet