My 6 month puppy keeps wanting to chase joggers and bark at them

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
Sainty

My 6 month puppy keeps wanting to chase joggers and bark at them

Post by Sainty » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:22 pm

My 6 month old Sheltie puppy, Winnie, keeps wanting to chase joggers and bark at them. She seems to do this whether she is on or off a leash/lead. Will she grow out of this or is there anything in particular that we can do ?

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Re: My 6 month puppy keeps wanting to chase joggers and bark at them

Post by SheltiePlanet » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:48 pm

Sounds like a conditioned response... She's herding them per her instinct to chase things that move, which is now being targeted to joggers. Piper does this with cyclists and skateboarders! I still haven't got round to desensitizing him... it's not too much of a common occurrence to bother. But if you want to nip it in the bud while she's young, you can train this reaction out of her.

I'd suggest clicker training, keeping Winnie on the leash and having someone jog slowly past her while you calmly tell her to "stay". The second she calms and obeys, reward with a treat and a click. Repeat this process until she stays calm on the leash. Then do the same thing off the leash.

She wants to please you, but she doesn't know it's necessarily wrong to chase joggers! And once she's excited, she won't be listening to you telling her to stop. So it's all about getting her into a calm state when a jogger is near and rewarding that calm. It takes patience but she can do it ;)

I've done an article on clicker training, hope it helps: https://sheltieplanet.com/clicker-training
Becky Casale
Sheltie Planet

For a goldmine of info on Shelties, check out my 190-page ebook: The Pet Owner's Guide to Shelties

Sainty

Re: My 6 month puppy keeps wanting to chase joggers and bark at them

Post by Sainty » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:45 pm

Thanks Becky for the advice and response. We will give it a go and see how we get on :-)