Hello - New to forum from Canada

For general Sheltie chat, local meetups, and new members to introduce themselves.
dlmitchell

Hello - New to forum from Canada

Post by dlmitchell » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:17 am

We have been visiting the "Sheltie Planet" over the past year ... so much hard work and love have gone into creating such a wonderful place for all of us "Sheltie" lovers to visit.
We have two shelties, a 19 month old male named "Casey" (vigilant and attentive) and a 12 week old male named "Flynn" (son of a red haired man - his Dad's name and colour are "Red") both are "Aberdale Shelties". They are "ALL" sheltie ... we love and adore them and can not remember what it was like before they came to be with us. We also have a feline named "Whittington" (from a favourite novel) who wishes he was a "Sheltie" !! We rescued him from the elements two days before we brought Casey home (crazy times).
I very much look forward to reading about and learning all things "Sheltie" !!

Ronna58

Re: Hello - New to forum from Canada

Post by Ronna58 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:07 am

Welcome from Ontario - I have three Aberdale Shelties. Emma is sister to Red, Liam's father is half-brother to both Emma and Red. Natalie is Emma's niece. daughter of another Red and Emma sister. Beautiful Shelties with beautiful personalities.

Your Casey reminds me of my Emma - who are the parents?
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley

dlmitchell

Post by dlmitchell » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Hello

Nice to hear from you ... your Shelties are beautiful of course !!
Casey's parents are Rocket (I think he is in the Cayman Islands now) and Bubbles - Red is his grandfather. Flynn's parents are Red and Missy and he is Casey's Uncle ... when you try to explain this to some people you can actually see their eyes glaze over ... to be honest I have a hard time keeping up myself :-) Does that info help you to figure out how our furry family members are realted ? I would be very interested to know !!

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:38 pm

I am trying to remember how Bubbles was related to mine. Not sure if she was a Krooks daughter or not. Natalie is a Krooks and Scarlett daughter. She is aunt to Emma as her grandmother is Emma's great-grandmother - you're right, eyes do cross.

Emma's parents are Sunny and Aubrey. Liam's grandmother is Aubrey. Red is Emma's brother, so she would be great-aunt to Flynn. Missy is her sister as well. I am trying to remember who Rocket was - do you have the parents registered names?

It is interesting to trace back their lineage on pedigrees.com. I found out that all my Shelties trace back to my original, Hamish's father, Alfenloch Ryan O'Neill, even my Noah, who was nephew to this dog.
Ronna

dlmitchell

Post by dlmitchell » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 pm

... we have the info of whose who somewhere ... my hubby will have to locate it next time he is home (beginning of May).
It sounds like you might be near us ... we are about a half hour from Waterloo. If you are interested, it would be fun to get everybody together someday !!

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:12 am

Casey would be great-nephew to Emma if Red is his Grandfather.

I live in Port Colborne.
Ronna

Sapphire-Blue

Post by Sapphire-Blue » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:19 am

Welcome to Sheltie planet. They are such fun dogs.

dlmitchell

Post by dlmitchell » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:54 pm

To Sapphire-Blue - thank you and your puppy is lovely - I adore the blue eyes.

To Ronna - Port Colborne - that's a bummer ! It would be a three hour drive either way ... oh well, maybe someday we could have our puppies meet and greet !!
What size are all of your puppies ?? Casey is 18lbs - just shy of 14" ... Flynn on the other hand is 11lbs and 11" (as close an estimate as I can get) at just 12 weeks ... I am concerned that he is going to be much larger than Casey ! What is your experience in this department ?

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:05 pm

They can either stay in size or go over or stand under. Emma and Liam are close to 16". Emma is around 26 pounds with being in during the winter. This will drop. Liam is around 20, he is so active I can't get any weight on him. Natalie is about an inch shorter or so and weighed 18 pounds at the vet's last week.

Hamish was under 16 and Noah was at least 16". Noah had a heavier build that my older two do. So it depends on the lines and the build. Natal has a larger frame that the other two.
Ronna

dlmitchell

Post by dlmitchell » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:39 pm

... I hear you ... Casey has been the same size since he was 7 months old (Is that normal ?) - he was half the size of his two brothers when we picked him up ... so we knew he would be on the smaller side.
People keep telling me that Flynn is to thin but he has access to all the food he wants 3 times a day ... he just never stops moving until he actually passes out and drops into a deep sleep ...