Sheltie Names & Nicknames

For general Sheltie chat, local meetups, and new members to introduce themselves.
Wendy

Sheltie Names & Nicknames

Post by Wendy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:17 am

Just for a bit of frivolity on a Sunday afternoon...

How did you choose your Sheltie's name?
Does it have any special significance?
Do you have any nicknames for your Sheltie?

Curdie - Named after the hero in two 19th Century children's books by Scottish author George MacDonald. I was trying to get a name with some kind of Scottish connection but as nobody has ever heard of it, people call him almost anything Curtie... Corey... Corby... Cody. I keep a copy of "The Princess and Curdie" on hand to prove I'm not making it up.

Nicknames: Fluffkin, Pupkin, Curdie-fluff (applies equally to the dog with fluff attached, and the detached fluff on the floor) and Mr Pokey Nose (because he uses it to open and close doors, and nudge me).

Anybody else want to share?
Wendy

Shatrin Beach Boy (Curdie)

Ronna58

Re: Sheltie Names & Nicknames

Post by Ronna58 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:32 am

Good thread.

Let's see
Hamish was already named when I got him - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neil. My sister named him Hamish as it is Scotch for James, her then husband's name. He got Mish a lot.

Noah I chose because it meant comfort. His full name was Arbreglen's Noah Bradley. The Bradley was for my Dad. Noah had a lot of nicknames: NoNo (my one great-niece couldn't say Noah), Noky, Grandma's Pretty Boy (Mom's name for him), Buddy, Boysie,.

Emma I chose because it meant comfort as well. Her full name is Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie. Missy is what my Dad called me as a child and I thought this would be the last dog I owned he would be around. Marie was my Mom's and also my second name. Emma gets Emmy (same niece who nicknamed Noah), EmEm, pretty girl,girly-girl, my girl,

Liam I cgose because it meant strong protector. It also goes back to my Irish heritage as does Emma. His full name is Aberdale's Smooth as Glass. The breeder had chosen his registered name and had been calling him Slick, just so he had a call name. He gets boysie-oysie, LiLi, pretty boy, my boy.

Natalie was named by the breeder. Her full name is Aberdale's Unforgettable, after the Nat King Cole song, and her name comes from his daughter. She gets girly, Natters, Nat, The breeder had called her Nattie.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley

detroitpink

Post by detroitpink » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:53 am

Great thread idea!

We named our puppy Jameson, after the whiskey. It's a family tradition to name dogs after liquor. Well, it's my father's family tradition. I never had dogs as a kid. My dad had an Irish Setter named Brandy and a Schnauzer named Schnapps. Schnapps was a faithful old guy who died only a day or two after my grandmother did. They are buried together :,)
Jameson gets called Jamie, because it's less of a mouthful and seems more "sheltie-esque" to me. A lot of people confuse him for a girl because Jamie can be a female name and he's such a girly dog. He prances! We also call him Poopy (not so much for poo but as 'Puppy' pronounced weird), Poopers (because of poo...),and I also call him Jam-Jam, Jamorama, Jammers, and fluff-butt.

And so they don't get left out, my two cats are Dexter and Logan. Logan had his name already when I adopted him from the shelter. I loved it so I didn't change it. He and his brother were littermates and I adopted them together. Dexter was originally "Duncan". Yuck. My husband and I noticed he was much more...sinister than his brother. Logan is more of a "lay-in-the-sun-and-roll-around" kind of cat. Dexter is definitely a hunter. Therefore: Dexter, like the show ;). But he's sometimes more attached to me than Jamie! Wherever I am, I can guarantee that's where Dex will be. He follows me everywhere. If I'm painting, he's laying under my easel. If I'm watching Tv, he's on the couch. He even follows me into the bathroom -__-;;; I like to think he's protective haha
Dexter and Logan are my feline furbabies. They are littermates but complete opposites.
Jamie is my adorable Sable Merle :)

Baxnfursmom

Post by Baxnfursmom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:59 pm

When I decided to get a new Sheltie puppy I thought he should have a traditional Scot/Gealic name. I googled Male Gaelic names and narrowed the list down to Angus and Fergus. When I got the puppy picture he just didn't look like an Angus so Fergus he became. The name means first or best choice and he certainly turned out to be that. He is very well behaved and is sweet as can be.

Fergus gets called Fergie, Furman, Handsome and Furgermeister.

Baxter came from rescue with the name. I thought he'd had enough upheaval in his life losing his home and all and Baxter is a fine name so I kept it.

Baxter gets called "B" and Big "B" and Baxie.

I got Toby from my nephew when he moved and could not take him along. I've known him all his life and Toby suits him so I kept his name as well.

Toby gets called "T" and sometimes T-man.
Sue
Fergus 5 yr old tri
Baxter 9 yr old sable
Toby 10 yr old Pom

detroitpink

Post by detroitpink » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:58 am

Haha Furgermeister! I love it :D
Dexter and Logan are my feline furbabies. They are littermates but complete opposites.
Jamie is my adorable Sable Merle :)

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:49 am

Great names and nice to hear the meanings behind them.
I had a bit of a theme going with my cats Mozart and Jazz, but I couldn't think of anything musical that would fit a sheltie.
Wendy

Shatrin Beach Boy (Curdie)

LisaM77

Post by LisaM77 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:06 am

Cool stories :)

Moose was named by committee over a wine or 2. I set out one parameter, that it have a connection to Canada. I'd narrowed it down to Monty (after Mont Ste Anne in Quebec) and Canuck, when someone piped up with Moose. One of my life ambitions is to see a moose in the wild and in 4 trips to Canada and the US I still haven't (seen bears tho - if I ever get a big dog I think I'll call him/her Bear). He was also supposed to be too tall to adhere to breed standard so it was a bit of a play on that. The second it was said I knew it was right, so Moose it was!

He has lots of nicknames... Moo, Moosey, Moosey-Woosey, Moosey-pants, Mooster, Mooster-booster, Fluff-bomb (because as an adolescent he looked like a bomb went off and he came out of it!), Mr Fluffy Pants (Pants for short), Fluffybum, Moosinator. I also call him Mr Moose, Moosey-boy, Moo-boy, my guy, and occasionally just refer to him as The Moose.

Sapphire-Blue

Post by Sapphire-Blue » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:22 am

Great thread Wendy. I like hearing all the nicknames and the origin of their dog's name.
Sapphie was named after her blue eyes - Sapphire. Sapphie doesn't have many nick names. She gets Saf a lot. I call her mummy's girl. My husband calls her Sapphil. My daughter calls her Sapphie-waf. My husband and daughter both call her Sapph-a-laff-a-kiss. Go figure what that's all about?? Your guess is as good as mine!!
Now you have ignited curiosity with my daughter SJ and she wants to say a few words:
hi :!:! I also call Sapphie Sappho or Sapphie-oh :lol:. i know it's coo-coo :? :?: . by-by :cry: .

dlmitchell

Post by dlmitchell » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:03 pm

This is fun !
We tried to stick with Scottish/Gaelic type names as well.
My eldest shelties name is Casey (18 mths) meaning vigilant and attentive - which he is very much so !! His nicknames and there are many ... Casey Baby - Hey Mister !! - Casey Kins ...
My new sheltie Flynn (11 weeks) meaning son of a red haired man - his Dad is Red in colour and name. His nicknames so far are ... Mr. Fuzzbucket - Buddy ...
We have a cat named Whittington (18 mths) a.k.a. Whitters - named after a great novel about a cat named Whittington. He thinks he is a sheltie ... but is not 100% willing to give up his feline ways :-)

A story for Moose's owner ... I lived in Prince George B.C. for a few years ... one winter I was taking the Grey Hound Bus to see my fiance in Blue River B.C. and if you have ever travelled backcountry in that area you know that there really are no shoulders on those roads ... Anyways, I was just gazing out the window at the beautiful scenery and was amazed and confused to see this Moose running along side and keeping up with the bus ... which was going a fair clip ... he was HUGE and on a mission to keep up !! I honestly thought I was seeing things ... it is still to date one of the craziest things I have ever seen !!! That was the first and last time I have seen a moose in the wild :-)

Sapphire-Blue

Post by Sapphire-Blue » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:12 am

great story about the moose dlmitchell. I love it!!! It would of been great to see.