Sheltie Names & Nicknames

For general Sheltie chat, local meetups, and new members to introduce themselves.
Wendy

Re: Sheltie Names & Nicknames

Post by Wendy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:44 am

Has anyone chosen a name with a Norwegian influence?
I'd like to use Magnus (patron saint of the Orkney and Shetland Islands) for a tricolour sheltie one day.

Love the story of the close encounter with the moose!
Wendy

Shatrin Beach Boy (Curdie)

Lisadale

Post by Lisadale » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:53 am

I'm a big Shakespeare and Sheltie fan. Our first Sheltie puppy was named McDuff. The second Sheltie puppy was Phebe, after the shepherdess in As You Like It. I miss both of them so much.

LisaM77

Post by LisaM77 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:12 am

Thanks for the moose story dlmitchell - what an amazing experience!!! I saw one in a wildlife park in Kamloops but you could tell it had spent a long time in captivity. One of these days I'll get back over and make sure I see one... I did catch a glimpse of an elk when in Canmore - are they agile or what!!!

I had a great experience with a mother and cub bear over in Mont St Anne in Quebec while out mountain biking, but I think an aussie shepherd or similar would suit the name Bear better.

dlmitchell

Post by dlmitchell » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:22 pm

You are welcome, Lisa ... Canmore is one of the most beautiful places to visit. Although, we spent a month in New Zealand about 10 years ago and if I had to move anywhere else in the world, I would hands down choose New Zealand ... the scenerary is fabulous, the locals are lovely and the food was awesome !!

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Lisadale,

I like the Shakespeare theme. I used names from Shakespeare for some poor unfortunate short-lived goldfish many years ago.

My first sheltie experience was a shetland sheepdog cross. Sasha was a great dog. She looked like a miniature black and white border collie, and would only play "fetch" with a soccer ball. Sasha would drop the ball in front of you and stand there waiting for you to kick it to her (with the occasional bark of encouragement). She would "head" the ball and could nose it back running full tilt. Not very gentle on the soccer balls though. I can't remember how many new ones we bought for her over the 12 years we had her.

I kind of hoped that talent with soccer balls was a sheltie thing but Curdie isn't interested.

Sorry to hear that you don't have a sheltie at the moment, but it is good to have the memories...
Wendy

AshScache

Post by AshScache » Thu May 31, 2012 10:23 pm

His name is Chauncey-- he had it when we got him. He LOOKS like such a Chauncey--very refined.

flufferlie

Post by flufferlie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Logan's name was .... I think the name Logan is common in my family. And he looked like a Logan.
I love his name so much. You could practically sing it when you called him.
You wouldn't think it, but we came up with so many nicknames for Logan LOL.
To name a few, we called him "Dogan Logan", "Logie" (Loe-gie), "Logan of the furry feet"
But he had so many that had nothing to do with the name Logan at all.
He got a new one almost every day (I can't think of them all) LOL
Bunny (he bounced)
Little Fawn Foot
Boo-face
Little Mister Wonderful
Beast
and his pedigree name was hilarious. "Sir Ladd Logan Chacha".
(his pedigree name was admittedly fun to yell whenever he found toilet paper to tear up all over the bathroom.) He answered to all of his little names.
(named after my parent's two childhood dogs- Ladd was my Father's Tri-color sheltie and Chacha was my Mother's mixed Chihuahua)
Chaha fit him perfectly since his rear-end wiggled as he walked. The sheltie waddle.

lith1253

Post by lith1253 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 pm

HAHA! "Fluffkin!" good one, ill have to use that. I ususally call my Sheltie "Fluffernugget" lol
A Dogs Prayer: "Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in the entire world is more grateful for your kindness than mine. After all, you have your job, your friends and your entertainment... I only have you."

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:54 am

Scotch is a pretty cool name too!
He's a very handsome boy.
Wendy

Dreamweaver

Post by Dreamweaver » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:06 pm

I chose Isabella (bella) because i love the name, however Bella Swan from Twilight is also a favorite of my daughters. My tri named Miley was named by my daughters after Miley Cyrus
Forever missing my Miley