Color changes in a tri colored puppy

Introductions, stories, puppies, memories, and more.
PeggyS

Color changes in a tri colored puppy

Post by PeggyS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:24 pm

I have an almost 4 month old mostly black and white sheltie. I've noticed over the time I've had him that he is getting more of the light tan color on his face and yesterday I noticed a rich tan color starting at the bottom of one of his black legs. How much do their colors change from newborn puppy to adult dog?

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Re: Color changes in a tri colored puppy

Post by SheltiePlanet » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Certain Sheltie coats can change color quite a lot! I think it depends on what colors they have in their ancestry, for instance Piper had Sables and Tris and it shows!

When Piper was born his breeder wrote "Tri Color" in his vet book, so he must have been pretty dark.

When we met and adopted him at 9 months it was crossed out and written "Sable" and he looked like this:
(sorry he's peeing, haha! It's just a good picture of his brown coat)

Exactly two years later, at 2yrs 9 mo, his coat has gotten dark again!
(Here's a pic from a few months ago when it was summer here so his coat was thinner, but you can see the darkness and its very similar to this now.)

I would call him a mahogany Sable now I think. His half brother Howard is a golden Sable:
(you can see how dark Piper is compared to Howard here)

It's interesting seeing the changes. I used to love the fact that I had two very similar Shelties, now I love the fact that they are so different. Guess I think they're permanently adorable either way! :D

steamchase

Post by steamchase » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:26 pm

My guess is that you don't have a tri-color sheltie, but in fact have a mahogany sable sheltie. Does your dog have a black mask around its eyes? If not, its not a tri. Does your dog in fact have sable hair with black tips? That is what is known as a mahogany sable. Mahoganies start out as light sable and as they get older their hair gradually darkens until it looks like a black dog with tan and white markings including a tan face. My first sheltie, Katie, was a mahogany sable. Now I have a tri collie named Gabriella and she has the black mask that all tris have. I have a 2 year old sheltie, Tara, and as time goes by she gets darker. I don't know if she will end up a mahogany or not. You usually can't tell when they are a puppy if they will be mahogany or not, but if they have the mask when they are young, they are a tri.

PeggyS

Post by PeggyS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:47 pm

He doesn't have sable with black tips, the black is all black. His father is a tri color and his mom is a blue merle. You can see a picture of him under the photo page under Dexter.

LisaM77

Post by LisaM77 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:37 pm

My parents sable has changed as she got older. She was much lighter when they got her at 2 years, then over the next couple of years she got much darker, so I guess she is technically mahogany sable.

No doubting Moose is a tri though - his markings are solid and his black is stunning!

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Post by SheltiePlanet » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:57 am

steamchase wrote:My guess is that you don't have a tri-color sheltie, but in fact have a mahogany sable sheltie. Does your dog have a black mask around its eyes? If not, its not a tri. Does your dog in fact have sable hair with black tips? That is what is known as a mahogany sable. Mahoganies start out as light sable and as they get older their hair gradually darkens until it looks like a black dog with tan and white markings including a tan face. My first sheltie, Katie, was a mahogany sable. Now I have a tri collie named Gabriella and she has the black mask that all tris have. I have a 2 year old sheltie, Tara, and as time goes by she gets darker. I don't know if she will end up a mahogany or not. You usually can't tell when they are a puppy if they will be mahogany or not, but if they have the mask when they are young, they are a tri.
Very interesting to know!! I guess we can expect Piper to keep getting darker then 8-)

maygunn

Post by maygunn » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:15 am

I believe my Bandit is maybe mahogany Sable too. He doesn't have the same coloring/markings as Piper though. Which is beautiful. He just has dark all down his back, same dark color Piper has.
Owned by Frito Bandito (:

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:04 am

Can you post a picture?
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley

A Sheltie's Smile

Post by A Sheltie's Smile » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:47 am

When my family first got our Sable & White Sheltie, Spanky. He was mostly an orangey color. As he got older though, he began to have more black in his coat. In the last few years of his life, he was mostly black. We didn't get him until he was already 8 months old and figured he was just going to stay that same color throughout the years. The only black he started out with was around his face/cheeks. I'm beginning to think he may have been this mahogany color that's being talked about on here...how interesting! I also read once that in the winter time their coats get darker and thicker.
The puppy we have now is for sure a tri color Sheltie though! He is a reverse of what Spanky was. He has the mask around his face and his body is all black. A few people have told me that if it weren't for the white on his feet, chest and tip of his tail, they would think he was just a fuzzy Doberman haha!
Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies. ~Gene Hill

April 26, 1997- April 04, 2011 Frolic In Peace Spanky <3 I will meet you at Rainbow Bridge <3

steamchase

Post by steamchase » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:44 am

smaller.jpg
This is my tri collie Gabby
(306.73 KiB) Downloaded 5523 times

katie.jpg
This is my mahogany sheltie, Katie
(91.25 KiB) Downloaded 5523 times

See the difference between a tri and a mahogany sable?